I arrived in Belgium with a Type C Short-term Cohabitation visa (valid for 3 months upon arrival), which meant that I could travel as long as my visa was still valid and that I don’t leave the Schengen territory. This was confirmed by the Belgian Immigration Office when I emailed them.

Travel as much as you can once you arrive in Belgium, because you won't be able to do so for a period of 6 months or more once your tourist visa expires.

If you are planning to travel, here are some guidelines:

  • Plan your trip after the first police visit. It may take weeks before a police agent passes by your place, and both you and your partner have to be at home when the agent visits.
  • Travel frequently within the first 3 months of your arrival while your tourist visa is valid.
  • You are not allowed to travel the moment your tourist visa expires.
  • You are not allowed to leave Belgium with your Orange Card. If you must leave Belgium because of an emergency, you may contact your city hall to ask them for an exception.
    Note: You are allowed to travel within the Schengen zone even if you already have an Orange Card, as long as your tourist visa is still valid.
  • You are allowed to leave Belgium and the Schengen zone once you obtain your F Card.