Pukkelpop is an annual music festival that takes place near the city of Hasselt, Belgium, in mid-to-late August. The festival is known for its wide variety of alternative music, spanning styles such as rock, pop, electronic, dance, hip-hop, punk and heavy metal. The term "pukkel" is the Dutch word for "pimple." 🙃
Pukkelpop 2018 was from August 15-18, but we chose to only go for one day– August 16. We drove from Antwerp to Hasselt and checked-in at our Airbnb. We then drove near the events space, there were numerous parking spots designated for Pukkelpop guests.
The events space was absolutely massive. It was almost like a theme park. There was a ferris wheel, carnival booths, a party bus, a lot of food & drink stalls. The festival has 8 stages that feature different genres: Main Stage, Marquee (rock), Dance Hall (electro), Boiler Room (electro), Club (pop/rock), Castello (electro/indiepop), Lift (hop hop), and Booth (techno/house).
I was not familiar with the headliners for that day (Arcade Fire & The War on Drugs) but I was looking forward to see Dua Lipa, who was also performing on the Main Stage. Her set lasted almost an hour and it was glorious!
Before going to Hasselt, my boyfriend already bought food & drinks tickets online. It cost 50 Euros for 20 tickets, which I think is very expensive. One snack cost at least 3 tickets (7.5 Euros). The food was okay. They had lumpias (they spell it 'loempia'), which were not very good. I would recommend eating right outside of the festival, where there are also a lot of booths selling cheap food.
Tips & tricks:
- A one day ticket for Pukkelpop costs 100 Euros per person (bought online, months before the festival)
- Make sure to book accommodations well before August
- There are lockers in the events space, so you don't need to carry a backpack the whole time
- Pack a poncho in case it rains
- Bring wet wipes (for using the porta-potties)
- Eat & drink right outside of the festival, where there a lot of booths selling cheap food